App | 中文 |

The Output of Early Rice in 2014 Reached 34.01 million tons

Updated: Aug 22,2014 4:16 PM     National Bureau of Statistics of China

National Bureau of Statistics

August 22, 2014

According to the survey conducted by the National Bureau of Statistics, the total sown areas of early rice was 5,795 thousand hectares, which decreased 9.4 thousand hectares over last year, and a decrease of 0.2 percent. The yield per unit area of early rice was 5,868.9 kg/ha, decreased 12 kg/ha over last year, with a drop of 0.2 percent. The total output of early rice was 34.01 million tons, decreased 125 thousand tons over last year, with a decrease of 0.4 percent.


1. Survey Coverage

The data released by NBS on the early rice output, were estimated from the sample survey in the main-producing early rice regions taking the province as the total population, and major investigation in the non-main-producing regions.

The main-producing early rice regions includes Zhejiang, Anhui, Fujian, Jiangxi, Hubei, Hunan, Guangdong, Guangxi, and more than 150 counties (cities) are sampled as national sample counties (cities). The survey organizations of NBS at provincial level conduct sample survey in sampled counties, and the output accounted for more than 97 percent of the national total.

Output data of early rice in the non-main-producing regions is calculated by related survey organizations of NBS at provincial level, based on major investigation.

2.Survey Sample

The sample survey on early grain output consists of sown area sample survey and yield per unit area sample survey. The sample survey on early grain sown areas is conducted in more than 1500 survey villages and 80 thousand rural households selected in national survey counties. The early rice sown areas at province level is estimated based on the basic survey data. The survey on yield per unit area of early rice is estimated by on-site measurement, which is conducted in the selected 11 thousand sample land segments from more than 1200 selected survey villages in national survey counties.

The outputs of early rice are multiplied by the sown areas from sample survey and the yield per unit area.

3. Output Measurement Method

The on-site measurement refers to the investigators in the grass roots, before harvesting, in accordance with Sample Survey System on Agricultural Output, stepping in the field and estimating the output of planting land plots one by one, and ranking them by output, then selecting a certain segments and marking them out. During harvesting period, investigators of the survey organizations at county level or assistant investigators will put sample and select sample on-site, and then estimate the yield per unit area through threshing, drying, water-checking, weighting and other steps on the selected land segments. The survey organizations at province level estimate the provincial (municipal) average yield per unit area based on the data from the selected land segments.