App | 中文 |


China's Wuhan reopens subway, railway station

Updated: Mar 29,2020 07:37    Xinhua/CGTN

WUHAN — Wuhan, a central Chinese city once at the epicenter of the COVID-19 outbreak, reopened its subway and railway station on March 28 following more than two months of suspension due to the epidemic.

"We clearly remember that the metro service had been suspended for 65 days," said Li Wei, a staff worker of the Wuhan metro service operator. "I was startled when I first saw the news of shutting down the metro system as I never expected such scenario to happen one day."

"We are excited and happy today to resume the service to serve the Wuhan residents again," Li said.

Passengers for six metro lines in the capital of Hubei province are asked to scan their health QR codes with real name information and check body temperature before entering the metro stations and wear face masks during the whole journey. Many were seen even wearing rubber gloves and hats that can cover the face.

The subway service operator has installed 200 infrared intelligent temperature monitoring equipment at 182 subway stations that are back to service in the initial period.

Inside the subway carriages, there are yellow signs that ask passengers to sit with an empty seat between two of them and security guards who tell people to wear masks during the whole of their trips, not to assemble and scan trip-tracking codes when getting off the subway.

The trip tracking is designed to aid the epidemic prevention and control work. To reduce potential cross-infection, the subway carriages will also be disinfected partly every day and entirely every five days.

"We are finally back. I can go to work on March 30," said a subway passenger surnamed Yang, who just arrived in Wuhan on March 28 with another two family members carrying eggs, preserved meat and vegetables from Sichuan province.

On March 28, the Wuhan railway station resumed the arrival service as the epidemic waned. More than 12,000 Hubei passengers returned to Wuhan by high-speed trains from all over the country on March 28, greeted by applause and flowers at the station.

"I earlier booked the railway ticket for Feb 14, but the railway service was halted due to the epidemic," said a passenger surnamed Zhang. Although the arrival was delayed by one and a half months, he felt safe and relieved to see the epidemic situation under control in his hometown, Zhang said.

"Wandering outside for such a long time, I have anticipated the return to home all the time," Zhang said. "I finally feel at ease and calm after I step on the land of Wuhan."