App | 中文 |

FAQs on Chinese Government Scholarship

Updated: Oct 7,2014 3:22 PM

1. How can I get the latest information about Chinese Government Scholarship?

Please visit our website for up-to-date information. You can also consult the Chinese Embassy (or Consulate General) in your home countries or designated Chinese universities for related information.

2. What programs can I apply for? When and where can I apply?

Usually the application season is between January and early April. Applicants should apply and send the required documents to the application receiving agencies. The table below illustrates the Chinese Government Scholarship programs.

3. What is the procedure of Chinese Government Scholarship application?

The illustration below may help you understand the application procedure in general. There might be minor differences between programs. Please read the introductions to each program for detailed guidance.

4. Can applicants apply for Chinese Government Scholarship without Admission Letters?

Yes. Applicants without Admission Letter are equally allowed to apply for Chinese Government Scholarship. However, CSC reserves the right to make necessary adjustments on the university options, specialties, program categories and duration of study for the applications without Admission Letters. Applications enclosed with Admission Letter will be forwarded directly to the host universities for recruitment confirmation.

5. Is the Letter of Acceptance or email from the supervisor admissible?

Only the official Admission Letters from the admissions department of Chinese universities are valid. Other files like acceptance letters or emails from supervisors or professors shall not be regarded as the equivalent or substitute.

6. Where can I get the Agency Number?

Agency Number is the first required item when applying online at CSC Online Application System for International Students ( Each Agency Number stands for a specific application receiving agency and will be given to the recommended candidates only. A correct Agency Number will lead to the presence of the corresponding application receiving agency. Wrong Agency Number will lead to application rejection.

7. How can I log in the CSC Online Application System for International Students?

① Go to or, and click the icon “Application Online for International Students” to enter the system.

② First-time users should register before entering the online application page.

③ Please use Internet Explorer (6.0 or 7.0). Menu selection functions may not work in other browsers.

8. What do I need to pay special attention to when applying online?

① Please select the program, CHINESE GOVERNMENT SCHOLARSHIP.

② The item Apply for refers to the program you want to apply rather than the degree you have already held.

③Majors should be one of the existing majors offered by Chinese universities and be based on your actual educational background. A nonexistent or improper major input will affect your application result.

④Preference of Institutions must be chosen from 252 Chinese universities designated by MOE. Any institution beyond the list will not be available for recruitment.

⑤Duration of the Major Study should match the program you apply for. Please check APPLICATION DETAILS of each program for the specific schooling period.

⑥ Submitted applications can be retrieved for revision. Once retrieved, the previously submitted application becomes invalid. Therefore, revised application should be submitted one more time.

9. How to write a Study Plan or Research Proposal?

A Study Plan or Research Proposal states in details what you are going to do with the scholarship in China. It must include such information as the major you want to study in or the field of your research interest. It is of vital importance for those applicants for graduate studies or senior scholar programs, so please make sure your study plan or research proposal states those information as specific as possible.

10. What supporting documents should be included in my application package?

Generally, applicants must fill in and provide the following documents truly, correctly and completely (in duplicate).

①Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship(in Chinese or English)

② Notarized highest diploma (photocopy)

③ Academic transcripts

④ A study plan or research proposal

⑤ Recommendation letters

⑥Applicants for music studies are requested to submit a CD of the applicants’ own works. Applicants for fine arts programs must submit a CD of the applicants’ own works (including two sketches, two color paintings and two other works)

⑦Applicants under the age of 18 should submit the valid documents of their legal guardians in China.

⑧Applicants planning to stay in China for more than 6 months must submit a photocopy of Foreigner Physical Examination Form ( valid for 6 months).

⑨Applicants with Admission Letter from designated universities should enclose the letter in the application package.

⑩Applicants with valid HSK Certificate should enclose it in the application package.

The above documents should be bound on top left corner (in duplicate) in order. No application documents will be returned.

11. Are scholarship recipients obliged to take Chinese-taught programs?

① Chinese is the only instruction language for undergraduate programs. Scholarship recipients of undergraduate programs must take preparatory courses in designated universities for one year and pass the required test before major studies. Failure to pass the required test leads to the automatic termination of their scholarship.

② Most graduate programs and non-degree programs are instructed in Chinese. Certain Chinese universities offer English-taught programs. Please check Directory of the Chinese Institutions Admitting International Students under Chinese Government Scholarship Program ( or for program introduction. Scholarship recipients of Chinese-taught programs without adequate Chinese language proficiency must take Chinese language training courses for one to two years to reach the language requirements of their host universities before major studies. Failure to reach the required language proficiency will lead to the termination of scholarship. Recipients in such programs as science, engineering, agriculture, west medicine, economics, management, law and arts will take Chinese courses for one year. Recipients in literature, history, philosophy and Chinese medicine will take Chinese courses for no more than two years. Recipients of English-taught programs or those with adequate Chinese language capability do not need to take Chinese language training courses.

12. Which Chinese universities offer Chinese Government Scholarship programs?

A total of 252 Chinese universities are designated by MOE to accept Chinese Government Scholarship students. Applicants can only choose their host universities from this list. Please check the Directory of the Chinese Institutions Admitting International Students under Chinese Government Scholarship Program on or for introduction to programs and universities available.

13. Can applicants directly apply to Chinese universities for Chinese Government Scholarship?

Only Chinese universities undertaking Chinese University Program can accept the scholarship application directly. A List of Designated Chinese Universities Undertaking This Program can be found at the end of APPLICATION DETAILS of Chinese Government Scholarship—Chinese University Program.

14. Can applicants apply for more than one program?

Yes. However, CSC reserves the right to award only one scholarship to each individual applicant nominated by more than one university.

15. How can I know the admission result?

The admission result will be announced by the application receiving agencies in late July. Applicants can consult the application receiving agencies for admission result.

16. Why is the host university sometimes not the target university?

For the applicants without Admission Letter, CSC reserves the right to make necessary adjustments on the university options, specialties, program categories and duration of study based on the scholarship requirement of different countries, accepting capacity of universities, requirements of different programs and the qualification of applicants. That’s why some applicants are enrolled by a university beyond their application options.

17. How can I go to my host university that is not in Beijing?

CSC provides transfer service to new full scholarship students who have to make a stopover in Beijing to other cities during August 25th and September 15th. Pickup service at Beijing Airport, free accommodation on campus and hard-seat train ticket (or hard-berth train ticket for overnight trip) from Beijing to the city of the host institution will be provided to full scholarship students.

Transfer Service Station for Chinese Government Scholarship Students

Tel: 0086-10-82303706

Fax: 0086-10-82303326


Add: No. 15 Xueyuan Lu, Haidian District, Beijing, P.R. China

Post Code: 100083

Contact Information of CSC

















Fax: 0086-10-66093915, 66093972

Website , http://


Division of International Student Affairs

China Scholarship Council

Level 13, Building A3, No. 9 Chegongzhuang Avenue, Beijing, P. R. China

Postcode: 100044