Another 21.3 billion yuan ($3.1billion) will be invested to build more waste disposal facilities in 46 cities that are in a basic garbage classification and disposal system pilot program, aiming to allow them to complete the program by the end of 2020, according to the Ministry of Housing and Urban-Rural Development.
China has made progress in household garbage classification work, the ministry said at a press conference on June 28. Nearly 5,000 vehicles focusing on transporting kitchen garbage have been allocated in the 46 cities and about 1,000 vehicles for hazardous waste, it said.
The ministry said 46 key cities in the pilot program are accelerating the construction of a garbage treatment system with dumping, collection, transportation, and disposal all sorted.
So far, more than 70 percent of residential communities in cities such as Shanghai, a pioneer city in implementing trash sorting, Xiamen, Shenzhen, Ningbo, Guangzhou, Hangzhou, Suzhou and Beijing have committed to garbage classification.
According to the ministry, 134 units from central authority, 27 military units in Beijing and all units of provincial authorities have implemented household garbage sorting and it’s in full swing.
The government’s plan showed that all major cities in China are expected to initiate garbage classification this year, and the system should be completed and functioning by the end of 2025.